Hello lovelies! Have you got Mondayitis? Are you still hungover from Saturday? Or looking for something delicious to get your week started right? I recommend you fire up your blender or food processor and make a yourself a tall glass of this berry smoothie.
Smoothies are a go-to breakfast for me because they’re quick, provide 2 serves of fruit, are portable (just pop them in a jar), contain omega 3/dietary fibre/protein from chia seeds and are antioxidant rich thanks to the cacao, berries and chia .
Now I’m aware that mixed berries aren’t the cheapest item but they are my all time favourite and worth the extra dollars for the convenience and nutritional benefits. Chia seeds are also expensive but a little goes a long way so they’re worth a try too 🙂
My top tips for making your smoothies totally awesome are:
- Use frozen fruit! Using frozen fruit allows you to get that satisfying thick-shake consistency without the need for the extra calories/sugar from ice cream or froyo.
- Chop first! Whether you are using frozen berries, bananas or pineapple make sure that they’re chopped up nice and small before blending. Chopping your fruit first means that you’ll create a smoother smoothie and won’t have to make the blender work so hard.
- Don’t forget the liquid! I like my smoothies really thick, thick enough to eat with a spoon butttt they still need liquid. My rule of thumb is to add just enough liquid to cover the other ingredients and continue to add more if your smoothie aint getting smooth. Also, you can use any liquid from soy to cows milk, coconut water to almond milk or even a combo of two (I like half soy, half coconut water).
Now for the recipe 🙂
- 1 handful mixed frozen berries (large berries like strawberries chopped).
- 1 frozen banana (cubed)
- Milk (Soy, nut milk or coconut water, see tip #3)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 heaped tsp cacao
- Honey to sweeten
- Coconut chips to serve
Put frozen fruit, chia and cacao in the blender. Top with enough milk to cover the other ingredients. Add honey if frozen fruit is not very sweet. Blend for 1-2 minutes or until blended to your preferred consistency. Top with coconut chips and extra chia seeds, enjoy!