Oh granola you are so yummy to munch,
All day long I could nom you,
For breakfast, snack time and lunch,
Crunch, crunch, crunch.
Granola for you I would punch
Then once the fight is won,
Again I would munch,
Crunch, crunch, crunch.
I lurve this granola! Clearly cause I wrote a poem about it dah! Why is it so special? Three words: maple, vanilla, cinnamon. Match.Made.In.Heaven. This granola basically tastes like apple pie but there’s no butter, refined sugar or white flour. Winning! Instead there’s all the good stuff like apple, chia seeds, almonds and oats to provide fibre, protein, omega 3 and antioxidants first up in the morning (or the afternoon or for dessert etc.). Winning x 2!
No refined sugar and no preservatives mean that if it were a person this granola would probably be that all round great guy/girl you know that instantly lifts your mood no matter what the circumstance. Yep this granola is your new best friend – but food!
Ma gurl granola is flexible too, just like all good BFFs should be. You can cook it for as long or as little as you like. I say the crispier the better but if you prefer things a wee bit on the mushy side that’s cool too. You can throw in any kind of fruit, nuts add extra seeds or even change up the spice situation. Go nuts (I’m so punny!).
But before I get too carried away (ok its probs too late but whatevs), I will place a bit of a disclaimer on my love for this cereal: your tastes mayyy not be the same as mine sooo if you don’t like it then that’s ok, I won’t be too offended. Credit for the recipe inspo today goes to The Frosted Vegan http://thefrostedvegan.com/2013/06/11/maple-sweetened-quinoa-and-oat-granola/ and Elizabeth Rider http://www.elizabethrider.com/easy-healthy-homemade-granola-recipe/.
Here’s the recipe, knock yourselves out!
- 1 medium green apple, diced (or 1 cup of fresh/dry fruit)
- ½ cup coconut chips
- ½ cup chopped almonds (or nut of choice)
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- ½ tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, liquefied
- Preheat the oven to 150°C and grease or line a large baking tray.
- Combine apple, coconut, almonds, chia seeds, oats, cinnamon and nutmeg in large bowl and toss together with a spoon or your hands.
- Add vanilla, maple syrup, coconut oil and mix thoroughly.
- Spread granola mix thinly over prepared tray and bake for 15minutes.
- After 15minutes, remove granola from oven, stir and continue baking then stirring for 15minutes at a time until it reaches your desired level of crispiness.
To serve: With Greek yoghurt, milk, coconut water, a smoothie – the options are endless, go nuts!