I know, I know I’m a bit slow with my final Winter Warmer. I’m also well aware and so happy that it is SPRING! But I’ll let you in on a secret, I’m a very stubborn young lady and I like to finish what I start, hence why you are receiving this delicious Winter Warmer recipe a few months late, unless of course you are in the Northern Hemisphere then this will be reaching you right in time. Before I go any further I must also apologise for my extended absence from ze blog. Life. It really knows how to get in the way of things right! I will however be making a concerted effort to jump back on the bandwagon so expect some Spring/Summer recipe spam from Janey Cooks in the coming weeks 🙂 Please keep an eye on my Instagram (@janyecooks) for more frequent updates and follow the lovely feeds that inspired this post @ohsheglows and @gkstories.
Now to the recipe! I don’t have any of my own photos of this delicious creation because it honestly did not last long enough. In my opinion thats a fairly good indicator of just how yummy Baked Carrot Cake Oats are. Eat them for breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert. I’ve even done all 4 in the one day but you probably shouldn’t because balanced diets and variety are good and laziness is bad. Recipe and picture credit goes to the lovely people behind Green Kitchen Stories and Angela of Oh She Glows. Oh She Glows says that this delicious dish will keep for approx. 3 days in the fridge or 2 weeks in the freezer but I say it won’t last that long.
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 1/2tsp baking powder
- 1/2tsp ginger*
- 1/2tsp nutmeg*
- 1tsp cinnamon*
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 3-4 grated carrots
- handful sultanas
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 1/4 cups your preferred milk (I used soy)
- 3tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 1tbsp coconut oil (liquified)
- 1/2 cup of almonds or whichever nuts you have
- A sprinkle of chia or whichever seeds you have
*NB: You don’t need to strictly observe these measurements, a little extra cinnamon here, a touch less ginger there – taste test as you go to get the flavour you’re after.
1. Preheat oven to 180degrees and grease a large baking dish or tray with coconut oil.
2. Mix rolled oats, baking powder & spices in a large mixing bowl. Add grated carrots and raisins then stir to combine.
3. In a separate bowl whisk milk and eggs together.
4. Spoon the oat mixture into the prepared dish/tray and pour egg & milk mixture over the top.
5. For the topping: Mix topping ingredients together in the same bowl as the oat mixture (the less washing up the better!) and spread over mixture.
6. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until browned & crunchy on top.
7. Serve warm or cold with Greek Yoghurt or Oh She Glows delicious Coconut Whipped Cream for something more exotic. Enjoy!